Monday, May 2, 2011

The Domestic Division of Labor

When completing the chart of who completes what tasks in the family, I was not surprised by the results.  Because my father worked full time, my mom completed the majority of the tasks on the list.  She was a stay at home mom and dedicated her time to completing family tasks and household chores.  My dad participated in the occasional tasks of mowing, fixing the house, etc.  The podcast did open my eyes up to the fact that the things I checked off under my dad where all jobs that are not done daily, where as my mom's chores all had to be done without choice.  I don't think that their traditional roles were unfair though, because before they had children, they decided on this arrangement together.  The feminist outlook and parts of the chapter made me feel like women didn't have a say in becoming full time homemakers and that it was just the way it had to be, but I don't feel that's always the case.  When a couple creates a family, they need to decide together whether they want the both of them to work and have the help of a family member or nanny to take care of the children, or for one of them to stay a home full time and do it themselves.  The costs of childcare can cost just as much as one income, therefore making staying at home more beneficial.  Even though more women are graduating from college, they are still electing to stay at home so that they can build a stable, close relationship with their children and their family.  I think women nowadays choose to be the one's who handle these chores.  I know plenty of career oriented women that do not feel it is their duty to do housework, and have enlisted the help of maids.  Of course not all people have choices, and some men and women need to both work for financial stability.  In this case, the second shift does seem unfair and I don't see how men could not help out more at home knowing their wives are working just as much as them.

No comments:

Post a Comment