Sunday, April 24, 2011
Do you think that our society, and/or the world, is secularizing, or not?
Despite what the book states about how our society is evolving, I believe that we are secularizing in the United States currently, but I cannot speak for other countries. I feel that the Eastern culture has kept their religious views intact. I know a lot of people who have moved here from those countries and have managed to maintain the same level of commitment to their religion. The United States is so diverse that I feel that because there is not a prominent religion, people can get lost in confusion. I agree with the book when it mentioned the pattern of religious commitment with people at different ages. For the most part, we grow up following and practicing a religion, and then stop once we become early adults. Then once we decide to have families, we return to our religion so we can allow our children to be raised in that environment. I currently am taking part in that process. I grew up going to church every Sunday. While I learned a bit, I did not quite understand the full importance of my religion and how I was supposed to connect it to myself. So when I became a young adult and was no longer forced to go to church, I decided not to because I did not understand why I was doing it in the first place. I plan to find God and a church that I can connect with, but I need to be fully committed and aware of my decision. I feel society goes through phases, so while I feel industrialization has allowed secularization to occur, I think there will come a point where it will hit rock bottom and eventually level out. I believe a balance will occur to where religion may not be as prominent as it once was, but will also not be forgotten.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your personal example is a great example that our society is a secularzing society. Your family raised you with a religion and you didn't even know why. This doesn't mean that this theory is bad against religion but it does say that it makes it less important to people. It can also be looked at as a good thing that in the US we have lots of options on deciding which religion to be.
ReplyDelete