Monday, April 11, 2011
My Opinions on the Role of Gender Socialization
After reading the chapter this week, I would agree more with gender socialization being the main reason behind how sexes behave. I liked the book's example that right from birth, people start to categorize a male as strong, tough, etc. and a female as quiet, small, etc. From the second a child is born, they are engaging in gender socialization involuntarily. As with any theory, I believe there are exceptions. The exception in this case would be someone like George Jorgensen, who was born a man, yet believed he was a woman inside. He underwent a sex change and started to realize afterwards how differently he was treated by people as a female. If biology was the answer, then all across the board women would act the same and men would act the same. That is not the case, as the findings from New Guinea, The Ikung, and the Sudhest Island show that men and women's roles and behaviors vary differently. In some areas, the women are more aggressive and behave as the head of the household. In other areas, the men and women have the same type of personality and share roles in raising and providing for a family. I agree with the book's examples of all of the obstacles women face. It is very hard to be taken seriously in a work place where the men typically hold the positions of power. I know that when I was deciding on what to go to college for, I was taking into consideration that one day I will be raising a family and will need flexibility. Because of that, I want to be a teacher. I do understand why company's would be hesitant to put the time and effort into a female employee in fears that they will leave to start a family. Although these days, women continue their jobs while raising a family so I do not feel it is fair. If a woman works hard and proves herself, then that should be reason enough that she is committed and she probably won't leave the job.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
your blog this week made me think of young children and how differently little boys act vs. little girls. My friends have a 2 year old son and he is always running around, breaking things, yelling, and turns everything in sight into a sword. Is this behavior learned? and from who? The people around him must always show him boy toys or does he just naturally act like a little "boy" just a thought
ReplyDelete