Friday, May 20, 2011
Shift Happens
Watching the video was very enlightening to me. Being that I am only 22, I have witnessed immense technological inventions. I remember car phones, when the internet first became public, when cell phones first started, wireless phones, etc. It seems that every 6 months things that were just "new" became "old". I think the video is very realistic on what is to come. What really caught my attention was the piece that stated that for students going to obtain a 4 year degree, that by their 3rd year of college, what they had learned the first year is now outdated information. We are going to school to train for jobs that don't even exist yet, using technology that hasn't been invented. It's scary to think that we are paying a college education without knowing how much of it will actually be useful. I am just hoping that the work ethic needed to complete a degree will be enough to allow us to keep up with the times as they change. Once schooling is done, how are we to learn about all the new advantages? I just fear that 3rd graders will be smarter than 30 year olds with how schooling will change. I don't think it's possible for our educational system to be ahead of the game because we don't know what to expect, but I think it needs to increase the level and amount of information that students should be expected to learn so that we will have the capabilities of handling more technologies as they come. I think the internet has allowed us to become more knowledgeable. Information is limitless and anything we have an interest in learning is available to us. I think moderation is what we are lacking. It's hard to pull away from the temptations of having access to anything we need to enjoy the real world. It will be interesting to see how China develops with their expanding economy and population. The world will continue to shift so while this all sounds daunting, it could very much change into a different direction as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment