Saturday, May 14, 2011

Who wields the power?

I agree with C. Wright Mill's theory that the power elite runs the country.  The small group of people composed of business, military, and political leaders hold the decision making power.  The elites of each group are interrelated and connected.  They come from similar backgrounds and tend to know one another.  When working together, they create a powerful force in decision making on behalf of the United States.  Yes, the general population has the ability to vote on political issues, but the power elite controls our options.  Businesses lobby their ideas towards their politician acquaintances in a way that they will both benefit.  I will admit that I am still learning about politics and have taken interest since turning 18.  It is hard to form my own personal views, because what I read and watch on TV are always so contrasting to one another.  But based upon what I am reading in the book, I feel that as a population, we may not hold as much power as is believed.  Yes, we can decided on political leaders, but their decisions about policies and such are strongly influenced by the power elite.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this theory as well. When you are reading the text about the Elite group of people it really opens your eyes and make you think of who they really are. Buisness owners, the wealthy, ect. No matter who they are if they are able to considered elite I to believe they hold the true political power and their decisions are most valuable.

    ReplyDelete