I believe that social class is very important in the United States as of today. This wasn't something I ever really looked at growing up, as it was not a concern of mine. As I get older and more independent, I have noticed social class much more and can see how prominent it is in society. The D.C. metro area is full of affluent and influential people. Being that we live around the Nation's Capitol, politics plays a heavy role in society. This area is very transient, so I feel it is hard to analyze how people became to be in the class structure they are in. I think reality television has played a role in glorifying the upper class. The Real Housewives series has let America into the homes of very rich families in various cities in the countries. The show gives us a glimpse at the ostentatious and flashy lifestyle that they are able to live. Many have several nannies for their children even though the women do not have to work. Other reality shows, which are focused around the lives of celebrities, also give a look at the lifestyles they live. I think it shines a light on the upper class and their privileges. Many that are not upper class may strive the live the lavish lifestyles they see on television, putting them in financial difficulties. The book seems to not focus much on those who come from the lower class and the underclass that actually make it and increase their status in social mobility. I feel a lot of very successful people come from these classes, because they want a better life for themselves and their families. Coming from that sort of background can create very determined, hardworking individuals. I know a good amount of people who grew up with many privileges in the upper class and have done nothing with their lives in their early twenties. Because they were given everything growing up, they just expect it without working for it. Many of those people stayed in school for long periods of time, but have no motivation or goals once they graduate. My personal experiences relating to that also go against what the book has to say. In this case, the book says that those coming from upper-class, educated house holds are likely to be better off. Depending on what area of DC you go to at night, or which restaurant you choose to eat at, you are likely to be surrounded by those in the same class category as yourself. I would feel out of place going to certain establishments in DC at night where the average crowd would be very wealthy, middle-aged people.
When playing on the PBS website, I decided it would be interesting to plug my zip code in and see what classes of people make up the town that I live in. It showed that in order from highest to lowest, Ashburn is made up on young influentials, kids and cul-de-sacs, executive suits, the winner's circle, and movers and shakers. Each "class" is not very different from one another, and I feel that describes Ashburn very well. It's not the most diverse town. There's not huge inequalities here, so this looks to be a true representation.
No comments:
Post a Comment