Monday, March 21, 2011
Are American's today more isolated due to technology?
I do not believe American's today are more isolated due to technology, I actually believe the opposite. The internet and the invention of texting has opened us up to new ways of communicating with one another. Because of social networking sites, I have kept in touch with many peers that I am positive I would not be talking to now without it. As we go throughout our life course, we become engaged in work, school, kids, etc. which pulls us away from our social life. For nights that we do not feel like going out and socializing, we can sit on the computer and connect with many people at once. I keep in touch with friends from childhood that I no longer live near, and family I have only met a handful of times. I am not a huge fan of picking up the phone and calling people, so I enjoy texting. It allows me to communicate with others over a long span of time and continue to go about my day. Technology has allowed us to stay in contact with one another, so actual social meetings can be arranged. People who are lonely and move to new cities often enroll in online dating sites. While they are lonely and isolated at home, they can use technology to meet and interact with others they would likewise not know. Due to my positive outlook on technology, I do not feel that there is reason to believe we should be concerned for our future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment